Parks Motor Group Scottish Women's Premier League

#SWPLCup: Glasgow City 3-0 Spartans

November 14th 2021

Photo by Malcolm Mackenzie.

Glasgow City are into the SWPL Cup final, but they were made to work for their place at Firhill against a resolute Spartans side. Priscilla Chinchilla scored either side of a Hayley Lauder finish to secure a 3-0 win over their Edinburgh opponents.

City should have been ahead inside the opening minute when a powerful run from Lauren Davidson saw her surge into the box before squaring for Aoife Colvill but she couldn’t divert her header on target.

Davidson then had a chance of her own and although her effort was the first of the match on target, it was easily kept out by Rachel Harrison. The City forward really should have opened the scoring on eight minutes when a cross found her unmarked in front of goal, but she didn’t make a good connection and the ball was cleared.

Spartans survived the early City onslaught however and had their first effort on goal 19 minutes in with Caley Gibb robbing Claire Walsh of possession before the ball was cleared to Louise Mason, whose cross into the area was headed goalwards by Tegan Reynolds, but Lee Alexander was equal to it.

Reynolds went close again when the ball was nodded her way by Lisa Ryan, but once more her shot was straight at the City keeper.

City looked rattled by Spartans and were almost caught out again when Niamh Farrelly was slow in possession allowing Alana Marshall to steal the ball and play in Rosie McQuillan, she passed through to Gibb who was unfortunate to lose out to Alexander who managed to grab the ball at the second attempt, after originally firing against the attacker.

The chances kept coming in what was an entertaining first half, Colvill this time missing a glorious chance in the box after Jenna Clark’s knockdown, before Davidson dragged her shot wide of target.

It was City who had the first effort on goal in the second half after a foul on Chinchilla, Farrelly meeting Lauder’s free kick but seeing her header well pushed behind by Harrison.

On the hour mark the deadlock was finally broken and in clinical fashion too by Glasgow City. Mairead Fulton picked the ball up in the middle of the park and drove forward before playing a pass in between the Spartans centre halves, where Chinchilla brought the ball under control before firing a low shot into the corner.

City then added a quickfire second through Lauder, the midfielder sliding in to knock the ball under Harrison after a lovely ball across goal from Julia Molin.

Lauder was playing a big part in the second half and very nearly put the game beyond any doubt when she saw her header come back off the base of the post, before Molin’s strike cleared the stadium.
With five minutes to go, Spartans were reduced to ten players with Mason shown a second yellow card for a foul on Fulton in the middle of the park.

To compound Spartans’ misery, City added a third in stoppage time with Chinchilla getting on the scoresheet again, finishing well at the back post after a lovely ball in from Tyler Dodds, securing their spot in next month’s final.

Glasgow City: Alexander; Molin, Clark, Walsh, Filipa; Fulton (Kats, 89), Farrelly, Lauder; Davidson (Dodds, 61), Colvill (Fulutudilu, 80), Chinchilla

Spartans: Harrison; D. McMahon, Ryan, McCafferty; Mason, Reynolds (Reilly, 75), Douglas, Marshall, Clelland; Gibb (Frew, 85), McQuillan