Parks Motor Group Scottish Women's Premier League

#SWPLCup: Celtic 2-1 Hibernian

November 14th 2021

Photo by Malcolm Mackenzie.

Celtic will play Glasgow City in the SWPL Cup final at Firhill after coming from behind to beat Hibs 2-1 thanks to goals from Jacynta Galabadaarachchi and Charlie Wellings after Rachael Boyle had given Hibs a first half lead.

The game began at a frantic pace with both sides looking to get on the front foot, so it was no surprise when the deadlock was broken after 13 minutes. Alexa Coyle picked up the ball down the left, before cutting it back to Shannon McGregor whose inch perfect pass across the box was slammed into the roof of the net, with an unreal strike from Boyle.

Celtic were pressing forward well but found creating clear cut chances difficult. Jacynta tried her luck on a few occasions, but her only effort on target was easy for Gabby English in the Hibs goal.

It was very nearly two shortly before half time though, when Hibs worked a free kick wide to Amy Gallacher and her enticing cross was somehow headed back away from her own goal by Caitlin Hayes, under pressure from a number of Hibs bodies.

Just a minute after the restart, Celtic were level. Olivia Chance’s clever backheel found Jacynta who cut inside before bending a shot into the corner, although English really should have been able to push the ball away to safety.

Jodie Bartle looked destined to have a glorious chance when she closed down an Amy Muir clearance, but she lost her footing and took a heavy touch allowing the grateful English to collect. The Hoops defender then had another chance to score after she was well picked out by Shen Mengyu, this time she got her shot away, but could only drag it wide of the target.

Hibs managed to survive the mini Celtic onslaught and were handed a chance of their own when they gifted them possession high up the pitch, but Coyle’s powerful strike was straight at Johnstone in the goal.

Back down the other end, Jacynta was proving to be a constant thorn in the Hibs defence and once again tried her luck with 10 minutes to play, but this time her shot flew over the bar.

It wouldn’t be long before they did move in front though, with Bartle laying the ball down for Kathleen McGovern and although her effort was blocked, Wellings swivelled to fire the ball home via the underside of the bar.

Wellings almost scored her second and Celtic’s third in stoppage time when she tried her luck from distance, but English managed to parry the shot away. It didn’t matter in the grand scheme of things though, as the Hoops held on to set up a derby with Glasgow City in the final on December 5th.

Celtic: Johnstone; Hayes, Clark (Shorts, 76), Craig; Bartle, Toland (McGovern, 76), Chance, Donaldson (Shen, 46); Larisey (Bowie, 46), Jacynta (Atkinson, 90); Wellings

Hibernian: English; Boyle, Murray, Eddie, Muir; Cavanagh, Notley, McGregor (Malone, 66), Gallacher (Leishman, 86); Coyle, Adams (Morrison, 78)