Parks Motor Group Scottish Women's Premier League

#SWPLCup: Aberdeen 0-2 Hibernian

November 1st 2021

Photo via Hibernian Women.

Hibernian secured their place in the SWPL Cup semi-finals on the 14th of November after defeating Aberdeen at Balmoral Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

A first half double from Rachael Boyle was enough to secure a 2-0 win in the howling wind and rain as Hibs reached the final four for the ninth consecutive season.

They began brightly and had the first chance of the game after seven minutes with the ball only cleared as far as Shannon McGregor, who shot narrowly over. Hibs also had the second effort on goal, with Amy Gallacher almost exactly recreating McGregor’s strike.

On 17 minutes though, the Hibees did move in front with Gallacher threading a lovely pass through for Boyle who showed great composure to drill the ball across into the corner of the net.

The Dons had a glorious chance to equalise when Chloe Gover intercepted a ball high up the pitch before playing in Lauren Gordon, but her first touch was heavy, and the chance was gone.

It was Hibs that were in control though and they were only denied a second midway through the half when Gail Gilmour pushed Colette Cavanagh’s effort over via the bar.

They made it two just beyond the half hour mark when Boyle again found herself in space in the box, finding the corner at the second attempt after Gilmour had kept out the initial effort.

Cavanagh then smacked the underside of the bar with one of her trademark powerful strikes as Hibs looked to end the contest before the break.

That third nearly did come right at the start of the second half when Gallacher curled one just wide from the edge of the area. Boyle thought she had it and her hat-trick soon after, but the linesman’s flag would deny her.

Siobhan Hunter would also be denied soon after thanks to a wonderful save from GiImour to block her header from a corner.

Aberdeen rarely threatened but came close to pulling a goal back when a free kick was flicked on by a Hibs head, finding Doig at the back post but she could only divert her header past the near post.

Hunter should have put the result beyond any doubt but after failing to make good contact with a rebound, her claims for a penalty were turned away after she was felled in the box.

The home side did up the tempo towards the end as they chased for an unlikely comeback, but it was Hibs who came closest to scoring again, Kirsty Morrison shooting just wide in the closing stages.

That would be the final chance of the game as the referee blew the final whistle bang on the 90 minute mark as both sets of players raced for the shelter of the dressing rooms, with Hibs joining Glasgow City, Spartans and Celtic in the semis.

Aberdeen: Gilmour; Campbell, Doig, Broadrick, Ogilvie; Shore, Thomson, Gover (Strath, 69); Fraser (Collins, 59), Gordon (Brown, 69), Hutchison (Bruce, 46)

Hibernian: English; Leishman, Murray, Hunter, Muir; Notley; Malone (Morrison, 69), Boyle, Cavanagh (Coyle, 81), McGregor (Adams, 59); Gallacher

Aberdeen Co-Manager, Gavin Beith:


Hibernian Head Coach, Dean Gibson:


Aberdeen Forward, Lauren Gordon:


Hibernian Captain, Joelle Murray: