Parks Motor Group Scottish Women's Premier League

#SWPL 2: Glasgow Women 3-2 Boroughmuir Thistle

November 7th 2021

Photo by Georgia Reynolds

Glasgow Women struck late to beat Boroughmir Thistle by the odd goal in five in an entertaining clash at New Tinto Park. Cara Henderson’s last-minute winner prompted jubilant scenes in the 3-2 win, after Kaitlyn Canavan and Lucy Ronald had earlier netted. Ronald was sent off towards the end but the hosts took the points against Boroughmuir who had scored through Beth MacLeod and Anna Murray.

The hosts made the perfect start by opening the scoring inside two minutes. Lucy Ronald showed good determination to keep the ball in play and prodded it across goal for Canavan to divert into the net.

It was 1-1 soon after though when Chloe Gibney failed to deal with a freekick, dropping the ball in the six-yard box allowing MacLeod the simple task of forcing the loose ball over the line.

Sophie McGoldrick thought she had put the home side back in front when she rolled the ball into the corner, but the linesman’s flag denied her a goal.

The game became more of a battle as the half progressed with neither side really creating much, until Alix Moodie was called into action twice in quick succession towards the end of the half, denying both Cara Henderson and McGoldrick with smart saves.

Boroughmuir had the wind behind them in the second half but it was Glasgow who started stronger, with a Canavan volley flashing wide as they looked to regain the lead.

Just beyond the hour mark, Glasgow Women had a glorious chance to go in front once more when Henderson picked out McGoldrick inside the six-yard box, but the striker somehow managed to miscue the ball and the danger was cleared, with Thistle then going down the other end to take the lead themselves. Murray went bursting down the right-hand side before aiming to cross, but her ball into the box instead flew over Gibney and into the far corner.

With 12 minutes to go though, Glasgow levelled the game once again when Ronald showed good feet to work the ball onto her left foot before firing a shot into the top corner from 20 yards.

The captain soon went from hero to zero however as she was shown a straight red card by referee Chris Gentles, after she was adjudged to have kicked out at Murray off the ball.

Despite having ten players though, it was Glasgow Women who would go onto win the game in stoppage time with Henderson holding off Macara well in the box before seeing her deflected effort fly into the roof of the net to secure three points to keep them top of SWPL 2.

Glasgow Women: Gibney; Wilson, Reid, Donald, Hoole (Davis, 46); Ramsay; Henderson, Ronald, Murphy (Robinson, 46); Canavan (Hamill, 71), McGoldrick (Bell, 79)

Boroughmuir Thistle: Moodie; Murray, Macara, McCabe, Clark; McCafferty, Wilkinson (Todd, 86); Davie, Templeton (Anderson, 84), MacLeod; Duncan (Smith, 84)

Glasgow Women Head Coach, Iain Ferrie: