Loading SWPL...

#SBSSWPL1: Glasgow City v Stirling University

City survive scare to hit Stirling for five

Glasgow City continued their winning start to the season, but they were made to work for the points by a tough Stirling University side.

The visitors had lost their opening two league games and were widely viewed as serious underdogs at the home of the champions but they almost went in front after just eight minutes.

Carly Girasoli was caught on the ball midway inside her own half by Eva Rule and the striker’s audacious lob had to be pushed wide by Lee Alexander. From the resultant corner, Emma Lyons’ touch sent the ball goalwards but Leanne Ross was on hand to nod the ball off the line.

City’s first chance of the half came on 12 minutes when Sam Kerr burst in on goal but she couldn’t find the net with her shot. The midfielder picked up a knock soon after and had to be replaced by the returning Claire Shine on the half hour mark.

With the game seemingly heading for half time at 0-0, the visitors stunned the home crowd when they took the lead on 42 minutes. Clara Bonner swung in another inviting cross and this time the ball was met by the head of Gemma Mason who nodded past Alexander.

The Uni side couldn’t hold on though, and straight from kick off City broke down the left where the ball was cut back to Hayley Lauder who controlled before curling the ball into the top corner.

There could have been a third goal before half time but visiting keeper Chloe Logan was on hand to deny both Lauder and Nicola Docherty as the sides went in level at the break.

Logan was again busy early in the second half with shots from both Kirsty Howat and Jo Love well stopped by the Uni keeper, but she couldn’t stop the City forward from putting them ahead just past the hour mark. Shine raced to the byline before cutting the ball back to Howat who made no mistake in finding the back of the net.

It was 3-1 just five minutes later when Lauder’s cross from the left was diverted into her own net by the diving Demi-Lee Falconer.

There was a double chance for Shine with quarter of an hour remaining when she first smacked a shot off the inside of the post before being denied by Logan.

Any faint hopes of a Stirling Uni comeback were ended on 87 minutes when Howat tapped home her second of the afternoon before Shine added a fifth two minutes later with a clever lob to get her first goal since returning to the club last month.

The final scoreline was rather harsh on the away side who fought valiantly throughout the game, but they still await their first points of the season while City maintain their 100% record.

City’s next game is a trip to Station Park to take on Forfar Farmington while Stirling Uni host Spartans.

Glasgow City: Alexander; Ross, Clark, Girasoli (Cunningham, 59), Docherty; Kerr (Shine, 30), Crichton (McLintock, 72), Love; Ivanusa (Foley, 59), Howat, Lauder

Stirling University: Logan; Simpson, Falconer, Bonner, Connor; Doran-Barr, Mason (Fulton, 77), Lyons, Guthrie (King, 83); Rule (Higgins, 72), Callaghan

Written by
Campbell Finlayson
Website by We Shape