Scottish Women's Premier League

#SBSSWPL Round-up – 27/05/2018

May 28th 2018

Photo by Malcolm Mackenzie.

Scottish Building Society SWPL 1

Hibernian 5-0 Rangers

Hibernian kept pace at the top of the table and cut the goal difference on Glasgow City to just one with another clinical display.

The Hibees took the lead after 25 minutes with Lizzie Arnot continuing her fine form since returning from injury. In the second half, Hibs made their superiority tell. Lisa Robertson doubled their lead with a long-range strike after 54 minutes and Arnot got her second six minutes later.

The last two goals came in the final ten minutes. Hibs’ fourth was an own-goal and Abi Harrison compelted the scoring after 85 minutes.

The result keeps Hibernian second and ends a miserable May for Rangers. They lost all four games this month and are now just four points from safety.

Celtic 2-1 Forfar Farmington

Celtic bounced back from last Sunday’s disappointment but were made to work for their win, as expected.

The away side, on a three game winning streak took the lead after 19 minutes. Nicola Davidson with a beautiful free-kick from distance into the top corner.

The home side couldn’t hold the lead before the break, with Celtic equalising after 44 minutes. Josephine Giard laying the ball off to Natalie Ross who curled it into the net. They then took the lead only five minutes later, Colette Cavanagh with a fantastic run and finish.

The result means that Celtic are just three points from top having played one game more. Forfar Farmington remain fourth and are three points clear of the bottom half of the table.

Glasgow City 3-1 Spartans

The reigning champions survived a late scare at home to Spartans, eventually coming away comfortable winners.

The opener for City came after just six minutes with Hayley Lauder setting up Kirsty Howat. It looked like it would be a relatively easy three points but it took until 64 minutes for the home side to double their advantage with Leanne Ross scoring from the penalty spot after Abbi Grant was brought down.

With 86 minutes played, Spartans reduced the deficit. Sarah Clelland with the cross into Elena Santoyo-Brown who volleyed into the net.

It looked as though it could be an edgy final few minutes but City made sure of the points only two minutes later through Leanne Crichton.

The result means Glasgow City keep pace at the top of the table but their lead on goal difference has been cut. For Spartans, the defeat means they are now bottom of the table and are a point from safety.

Hamilton Academical 2-1 Stirling University

Hamilton Academical fought back to get a vital three points in the league and climb off the foot of the table.

The two sides were level at 0-0 with an hour played and it was the away side that broke the deadlock. Rebecca Galbraith with a bullet header from a corner to put Stirling in pole position.

However, Hamilton showed the sort of determination that could be vital to avoiding the drop. Megan Quigley brought the two sides level again after 75 minutes before Katie Rice got the final goal of the game for the home side.

The result means that Hamilton are now seventh in the league, jumping above Spartans. It also means Stirling remain sixth but are now just three points from safety.

Scottish Building Society SWPL 2

Hearts 1-1 St Johnstone

St Johnstone drew their third match in their last four games away to Hearts.

It was the away side who opened the scoring after 53 minutes through Jade McDonald. She was played through before taking an excellent touch and finishing off calmly. However, the lead would last only 15 minutes with Pamela Liddell equalising for Hearts.

The result leaves both teams in exactly the same positions from the start of the day but both teams are further behind FC Kilmarnock in second.

Aberdeen 1-5 FC Kilmarnock

FC Kilmarnock put in a fine performance on their travels to get back to winning ways.

They took the lead after just eight minutes through Kirsty Munro and while it remained just 1-0 for the rest of the half, it took just one minute into the second half to extend their lead with Munro scoring again.

Colette Fleming extended the lead further after 54 minutes but it was cut back down to two goals with Amy Phillips scoring for Aberdeen. However, FC Kilmarnock made sure of the win just a minute later as Clare Docherty scored with Courtney Otto rounding off the game with a goal on 79 minutes.

The result means Kilmarnock remain eight points from Motherwell and they’re now three points clear of third. Aberdeen remain sixth but are now level on points with seventh and just ahead on goal difference.

Central Girls 2-7 Motherwell

Motherwell made it nine wins a row with another high scoring win in the league. However, Central Girls proved tough opposition for large parts of the match with the score 2-3 at the break.

It was the home side that took the lead with less than a minute played. The corner was cleared only as far as Kim Mcalpine who half-volleyed the ball from the edge of the box into the top corner. It was a sublime goal to make it 1-0.

Motherwell always look a threat going forward and that was no exception in this match. Despite going a goal down, they equalised after 20 minutes. Hayley Cunningham with the free-kick into the box which was headed in by Samanatha Hare. They then got the lead only two minutes later with Lauryn Reside played through before finding the net off the post.

The away side extended their lead after 43 minutes after an unfortunate own-goal. However, Central reduce the deficit before the break only a minute later. Motherwell failed the clear the free-kick and Abby Callaghan was alert inside the box to fire into the net with her first touch.

In the second half, Motherwell showed why they’re considered the title favourites. Cunningham got herself on the scoresheet just a minute after the restart and Hare got her second after 55 minutes. Motherwell completed the scoring with Caitlin Russell after 72 minutes and Cunningham getting a brace just four minutes later.

The result means Motherwell maintain their gap at the top of the table at eight points. Central remain bottom but are just two points from safety.

Glasgow Girls 2-2 Edinburgh University Hutchison Vale

Edinburgh University Hutchison Vale (EUHV) put in a stunning fightback to stop Glasgow Girls’ winning run.

The home side took the lead after 19 minutes through Rachel Ashe with a stunning long range effort. Lauren Evans doubled the lead just ten minutes later, curling the ball into the EUHV net.

However, EUHV battled in the game and reduced the deficit after 73 minutes through Katherine Smart. Then, with two minutes of normal time left, EUHV got the equaliser. A cross in hitting off a Glasgow Girls player and going in to her own net.

The result means Glasgow Girls remain third but are now three points from second and 11 points from top. EUHV remain seventh and in the relegation zone but are now level on points with Aberdeen.