Scottish Women's Premier League

#SBSSWPL Round-up – 26/08/2018

August 27th 2018

Scottish Building Society SWPL 1

Hibernian 7-2 Celtic

Hibernian put in a dominant second half display to defeat Celtic at Ainslie Park and keep their title hopes alive.

It looked as though Hibs’ would have a comfortable afternoon, going 2-0 up after 30 minutes. Chelsea Cornet opening the scoring with an absolute screamer from 25 yards before Abi Harrison doubled their lead, curling the ball into the top corner from the edge of the box.

However, Celtic battled back in the final 15 minutes of the half. Former Hibee, Sarah Ewens, reduced the deficit almost immediately before Kathleen McGovern levelled the scoring with perhaps an even better goal that Cornet’s. McGovern’s strike from around 30 yards was right in the top corner and struck the post on the way in.

It was all Hibs in the second half though, putting in one of their best performances of the season so far. With 56 minutes played, Emma Brownlie’s deflected effort from the corner was turned into the net and four minutes later, another corner turned into a goal as Siobhan Hunter headed home. Harrison made it five goals with 72 minutes gone, another shot from the edge of the box finding the net.

With 15 minutes to play, Jamie-Lee Napier got herself on the scoresheet and in most games this would have been the goal of the match. Cutting in from the left, she advanced into the box before smashing the ball across the goal and into the top corner. The final goal sealed Harrison’s hat-trick with a minute left, a fortunate deflection looping the ball over the ‘keeper.

The result means Hibernian remain level on points with Glasgow City and they’ve reduced the goal difference to just one. Celtic remain third, four points ahead of Forfar Farmington.

Forfar Farmington 2-2 Stirling University

Stirling University got a last minute goal to grab themselves a point away to Forfar Farmington at Station Park.

It was Stirling who opened the scoring after 38 minutes. Gemma Mason getting the goal as her deflected effort went past Fiona McNicoll in the Forfar net. However, just five minutes later and Forfar Farmington were level through Caroline Heron. The free-kick into the box resulted in a scramble and Heron eventually managed to put the ball into the net.

With 58 minutes played, Heron got her brace and gave Forfar the lead. Robyn Smith’s free-kick finding Heron who headed home. With 90 minutes played plus an additional one minute, Stirling equalised. Demi-Lee Falconer finding the net in another scramble.

The result means that both sides remain in position and gain some ground on the teams above them.

Rangers 0-1 Spartans

Spartans lifted themselves off the foot of the table and out of the relegation zone with a win away to Rangers.

The first-half was relatively even, with neither side creating any clear cut chances. It seemed like much of the same in the next 45, with a moment of brilliance or a mistake going to be the difference.

For Spartans, it was brilliance that got them the win. Michaela McAlonie’s free-kick from the left was put towards goal and floated over the Rangers goalkeeper and into the net. From this point, Rangers pushed on and looked for an equaliser, hitting the post through Jade Gallon with five minutes left but they were unable to find the net.

The result means Spartans are now out of the relegation zone, two points clear of Hamilton. Rangers remain fifth but are now four points behind Forfar Farmington and just three ahead of Stirling University.

Hamilton Academical 1-4 Glasgow City

Glasgow City picked up another win in the league, keeping pace at the top of the table as they look to secure a 12th title in a row.

The opening goal came after just six minutes. Abbi Grant with great play down the left, advancing into the box before cutting back for Sam Kerr to pass into the net.

The away side were denied for the remainder of the half and it took them until the hour mark to double their lead. The corner in from Nichola Docherty found Carly Girasoli at the front post who headed into the net. A minute later and it was three. Megan Foley crossing in and Jordan McLintock heading into the net.

10 minutes later, City were four goals up. Grant getting her 14th league goal after Leanne Ross played a great ball forward and she fired into the net from just inside the box.

Hamilton did reduce the deficit with six minutes left. Lori Gardner was played through and showed good pace and strength to hold off Girasoli as she advanced into the box. With Lee Alexander advancing out to meet her, the forward did well to compose herself and lift it over the out coming ‘keeper and into the net.

The result means Glasgow City remain top of the league, ahead on goal difference. Hamilton drop to bottom of the table after Spartans’ win but can climb back ahead when the two sides meet on Sunday 9th September.

Scottish Building Society SWPL 2

Edinburgh University Hutchison Vale 1-5 Motherwell

Motherwell clinched the Scottish Building Society SWPL 2 trophy with a convincing win away to Edinburgh University Hutchison Vale (EUHV).

With their first attack, the away side were ahead. Suzanne Mulvey played the ball out to Lauren Reside who took one touch before smashing the ball into the net from the edge of the box. 15 minutes later, the women of steel were further ahead. Hayley Cunningham’s initial effort was saved but the loose ball was finished off by Sammy Hare.

The home side reduced the deficit with 25 minutes gone. Lucy Brown latching on to a loose ball to go one-on-one and she showed good composure to slide the ball pass the Motherwell ‘keeper. The two goal lead was restored less than 10 minutes later though, Hare getting her second, tapping the ball in at the back post after a smart free-kick.

Hare got her hat-trick in the second half, firing the ball low along the ground and into the net from the edge of the box. Motherwell completed the scoring in the last minute with Cunningham getting herself a goal, though slightly fortunate.

The win means that Motherwell cannot be caught and are the SBSSWPL 2 champions. EUHV have now suffered two defeats on the bounce and are just two points ahead of seventh placed Aberdeen.

Hearts 3-0 Glasgow Girls

Hearts lifted themselves up the table with another win while Glasgow Girls are now just three points above the relegation zone.

All three goals came in the second 45, the first with 54 minutes played. Pamela Liddell did well to get past the defender down the right side before cutting the ball back forStacey Hutchison to slam the ball into the net from the penalty spot.

Liddell turned provider again just five minutes later, driving the ball forward before slipping in Jennifer Smith for a cool finish. Danielle Pagliarulo got the final goal with a minute left with her free-kick finding the net.

The win moves Hearts into third, ahead of St Johnstone on goal difference. Glasgow Girls remain fifth but are just three points ahead of seventh placed Aberdeen and two points ahead of EUHV.

Aberdeen 4-1 St Johnstone

Aberdeen made it three wins in their last three games, bringing them just two points from safety.

This is perhaps the most impressive victory, against a side in the last eight of the Scottish Cup and battling for second in the league. Aberdeen showed their up for the relegation battle with a vital win.

Incredibly, all four goals came from 14 year old Bayley Hutchison. She opened the scoring after 12 minutes, grabbing a further three goals in a second half flurry. Her second goal of the day came after 68 minutes, her hat-trick was completed just two minutes later, and her fourth goal was scored after 80 minutes.

St Johnstone did reduce the deficit, Ellie Cowie grabbing a goal with two minutes left in the game for the away side.

The result means Aberdeen remain seventh, but are just two points from safety. St Johnstone drop down to fourth on goal difference are three points behind FC Kilmarnock in second.

Central Girls 1-4 FC Kilmarnock

FC Kilmarnock are now clear on points in second place after a strong performance against Central Girls.

The away side took the lead after 12 minutes with Lisa Swanson, on loan from Rangers, heading home a Lauren Sloan cross. The score was then doubled after 32 minutes and Swanson got her third with two minutes left in the half.

Not long into the second half and Kilmarnock were reduced to 10 players before both sides added a further goal each.

The result means that Central Girls are still bottom and are 11 points from safety with five games remaining. FC Kilmarnock keep their place in second, now three points ahead of Hearts and St Johnstone.