Parks Motor Group Scottish Women's Premier League

#SBSSWPL Round-up – 5/11/17

November 6th 2017


Relegation Battle Continues

Hamilton Academical travelled up north to Aberdeen with the knowledge that a draw or better would secure their place in the 2018 SBS SWPL 1. However, Aberdeen had other ideas as they picked up their first win of the league season. Chloe Fitzpatrick put Aberdeen 1-0 up in the first half and she scored twice in the second half to complete her hat-trick.

The win has seen Aberdeen close the gap on Hamilton and safety to four points, but will most likely need to win both of their remaining games if they are to secure safety.

Click here for Match Report (via Aberdeen FCL on Facebook).

Spartans Win Thriller

On the day that Spartans announced that Suzy Shepherd was stepping down as Spartans Head Coach, they produced a highly impressive win over Celtic. The Edinburgh side had a tricky couple of games but put that behind with a superb victory.

Rachel Walkingshaw put Spartans in front after 16 minutes, but soon after, Celtic equalised through Sarah Ewens. Ronaigh Douglas reestablished their lead early in the second half and then Elena Santoyo-Brown put them 3-1 up.

In the 73rd minute, Mairead Fulton pulled a goal back for Celtic, but Spartans held on to secure a mightily impressive three points.

Spartans stay fifth and four points behind Celtic who stay in third.

Title Rivals Both Win

The SBS SWPL 1 title continues as both Glasgow City and Hibernian won their respective games, with two points separating the rivals before they meet next Sunday.

Glasgow City took on Stirling University and in the 29th minute, they took the lead. Stirling’s keeper Chloe Logan produced a wonder save from Abbi Grant but couldn’t prevent the City forward from scoring at the second attempt. Late on in the first half, Leanne Crichton doubled their advantage.

Just after the hour mark, Grant got her second of the game to secure a 3-0 win for the league champions.

Hibernian beat Rangers for the second time this week, winning 4-1. Kirsty Smith opened the scoring from a narrow-angle before Smith provided the assist for their second, cutting the ball back to Rachel Small who found the top corner. Just before half-time, Abi Harrison won a penalty which was converted by Siobhan Hunter.

In the 79th minute, Chantelle Brown pulled a goal back for Rangers and Hibernian had both Joelle Murray and Lisa Robertson sent off, with both players having been shown two yellow cards.

However, Hibernian would restore their three-goal advantage as Harrison scored a wonder goal, from the right-side of the box and curling the ball into the top-left corner.

Stirling University stay in fourth place, whilst Rangers remain in sixth-place and five points behind fifth.


Battle for Second

Motherwell’s late comeback saw them secure at least a top-three finish as they beat Jeanfield Swifts 3-2. Jade McDonald opened the scoring for Jeanfield after just four minutes but soon after Motherwell equalised. Rachel Todd’s goal meant that Jeanfield led 2-1 going in at the break. However, goals in the 83rd and 86th minute saw Motherwell secure a 3- 2 win, similar to what had happened when the two sides last met.

Glasgow Girls remain second after picking up an 8-0 win over relegated Buchan. Kirsty MacDonald opened the scoring for Glasgow Girls in the 13th minute before Lauren Evans doubled their lead. Georgie McTier’s goal gave them a 3-0 lead at half-time.

Two goals early in the second half from Chloe Docherty and Lauren Coleman put them 5-0 up, Kirstin McGuire scored their sixth, before McTier scored her second goal of the day. Then in the 88th minute, Sophie McGoldrick got their eighth.

One point separates Glasgow Girls and Motherwell, whilst fourth-placed Jeanfield Swifts are five points behind third.

Fight for Fifth

The battle to finish fifth is between Edinburgh University Hutchison Vale (EUHV) and Hearts and after the results, the gap is two points.

EUHV travelled up to seventh-placed East Fife for the early kick-off, and they took the lead after just nine minutes through Nichola Sturrock’s 20-yard lob. Just after the half-hour mark, Anna Hume’s first-time finish doubled their advantage. East Fife pulled a goal back in the second half but EUHV held on for a hard-fought three points.

Hearts hosted title winners Forfar Farmington and took the lead in the sixth minute through Megan McCarthy’s own-goal. They then doubled their lead through Danni Pagliarulo’s stunning free-kick which picked out the top corner.

In the second half, Forfar Farmington scored twice to secure a draw. Danni McGinley made it 2-1 in the 67th minute and then Caroline Heron equalised in the 80th minute.