Scottish Women's Premier League

#SBSSWPL Round-up – 3/9/17

September 6th 2017

It was another great weekend of football in the SWPL and SSE Scottish Cup, with key stories in both the title and relegation battles in both divisions.


Glasgow City 3-0 Hamilton Academical

Glasgow City returned to the top of the SWPL 1 after beating Hamilton Academical 3-0, although they have played one game more than Hibernian.

It took just three minutes for Glasgow City to take the lead through Lauren McMurchie’s strike, and soon after, she could have had a second only to see her shot saved on the line. Noelle Murray thought she had made it 2-0 only for the officials to rule it out for offside.

Just after the half-hour mark, it was 2-0 when Leanne Ross’ corner found McMurchie at the far post, and she made no mistake.

Early in the second half, City had another goal ruled out for offside when Katey McCabe headed in Hayley Lauder’s cross.

In the 66th minute, City won a penalty which was converted by Leanne Ross.

City move up to first, whilst Hamilton remains in seventh place ? two points ahead of Aberdeen.

Stirling University 1-1 Rangers

Late drama saw Stirling University and Rangers share the points.

The first half was goalless with Nicole Pullar and Jade Gallon going close for Stirling and Holly Napier and Hayley Sinclair having good chances for Rangers.

It looked like the second half would go the same way, despite Jennifer Godfrey nearly scoring for the home side, only to be denied by a superb save from Jordyn Elliot. Terri Donnelly came close for the visitors’ but her attempt was saved by Stirling’s keeper Chloe Logan.

Then, in the 90th minute, Nicole Pullar put Stirling in front but there still would be enough time for a late twist. In the third minute of stoppage time, Amy Muir’s corner picked out Lauren Davidson who rescued a point for Rangers.

Stirling drop down to fourth on goal difference, whilst Rangers remain in sixth but the result reduces the gap on fifth-placed Celtic to one point.

Aberdeen 1-2 Spartans

Spartans won the late kick-off against Aberdeen despite a possible comeback from the away team.

It took just ten minutes for Spartans to take the lead through captain Alana Marshall. Midway through the first half, the visitors’ nearly had a second goal but Laura Gavin’s shot was cleared off the line. Aberdeen had a good end to the first half and created a good chance from a corner, but couldn’t find a way past Rachel Harrison.

Marshall nearly had her second early in the second half, but her shot was well saved by the Aberdeen keeper. Minutes later, she did when her shot found the bottom-right corner.

Spartans tried to extend their lead further and Rachel Walkingshaw and Ronaigh Douglas both had good chances but in the 85th minute, Aberdeen pulled a goal back.

It was too late to find an equaliser as Spartans held on for all three points.

Aberdeen remain bottom, whilst Spartans climb up to third on goal difference.


East Fife 1-1 Motherwell

Motherwell extended their unbeaten run but conceded points in the title race.

East Fife’s goal came from Dickson, whilst Motherwell’s goal-scorer was Suzanne Grant.

East Fife stay eighth but reduced the gap on seventh to three points. Motherwell stay second but are now eight points behind Forfar Farmington.

Glasgow Girls 0-1 Forfar Farmington

Forfar Farmington extended their lead at the top of the table to eight points after beating Glasgow Girls 1-0.

The only goal of the game came in the 39th minute when a long ball found Danni McGinley and the forward found the back of the net.

Glasgow Girls remain in third place.

Buchan 1-3 EUHV

EUHV’s early start was rewarded with all three points as they beat Buchan 3-1.

They took the lead in the 10th minute when a corner picked out Anna Hume and she blasted the ball into the net. Three minutes, they doubled their lead after lovely play from Nichola Sturrock down the right, and she crossed to Leanne Forker who scored her first goal for the club.

And then, just before half-time, Beth McLeod scored their third.

Midway through the second half, Buchan pulled a goal back, but EUHV secured all three points.

EUHV are now sixth, level on points with Hearts. Buchan remains seventh, and 11 points behind the visitors.

Jeanfield Swifts 3-1 Hearts

Jeanfield Swifts picked up an impressive victory over Hearts.

Jeanfield took the lead in the 12th minute. After the Hearts keeper brought down Ellie Cowie, Laura Dunn converted the resulting penalty.

In the 50th minute, the home side doubled their lead after Cowie’s cross was converted by Eilidh McIntyre at close range.

Hearts pulled a goal back through Ashley Carse but soon after, Jeanfield restored their two-goal advantage after a stunning individual goal from Cowie.

The win sees Jeanfield move up to fourth, whilst Hearts drop down a place to fifth.

SSE Scottish Cup

Hibernian 5-0 Celtic

Braces from Abi Harrison and Joelle Murray in the first half helped Hibernian defeat Celtic 5-0 in the SSE Scottish Cup Third Round.

Playing their first game since the Champions League Qualifying Group, Hibernian returned to domestic football quickly, with Harrison opening the scoring in the 8th minute with a looping header. Their second came midway through the first half from a Murray free-kick, and late on, Hibs’ captain headed in her second to make it 3-0.

On the stroke of half-time, Harrison finished a quick break to score her second and Hibs’ fourth. And then, three minutes into the second half, Lisa Robertson header completed the home scoring for the home side.

Although the scoreline seems one-sided, Hibs required their keeper Jenna Fife to make a couple of outstanding saves ? particularly from Cheryl McCulloch’s close-range shot when the score was 2-0.

The win sees Hibernian host Glasgow Girls in the Quarter-Finals next Sunday.