Scottish Women's Premier League

#SBSSWPL Round-up – 29/10/17

October 30th 2017

Featured image by .

Hibernian and Glasgow City Hit Eight

Title rivals Glasgow City and Hibernian came into the weekend separated by just two points, and both sides managed to score eight goals in their respective matches.

Hibernian took on Spartans in the Edinburgh Derby in their first game after Chris Roberts left as Head Coach. There were just two goals in the first half with Rachel McLauchlan turning in Abi Harrison’s cross before McLauchlan assisted Katey Turner.

In eight second-half minutes, Hibernian scored fourth times with Lisa Robertson and Abi Harrison getting on the scoresheet as well as McLauchlan completing her hat-trick.

Late on in the second half, McLauchlan would score twice more. Her fourth saw her rounding the Spartans keeper whilst she blasted the ball into the net from Katey Turner’s cross for her fifth and Hibs’ eighth.

Glasgow City took on bottom-placed Aberdeen and they could have scored in the opening minute, but Emily Mutch had to be alert to deny Abbi Grant with her feet. In the eighth-minute, they did take the lead after Noelle Murray set up Hayley Lauder.

A stunning strike from Jo Love doubled City lead before she assisted Katie McCabe for City’s third goal. Love scored her second, five minutes after her first, from close range after being set up by Grant.

In the second half, City brought on Academy players Karsey McGlinchley and Carly Girasoli, the latter for her debut. Carla Boyce made it 5-0 in the 57th minute.

In the final ten minutes, City scored three goals. Noelle Murray solo effort made in 6-0 in the 80th minute and it was then nearly a debut goal for McGlinchley, but Mutch made a great save.

Joanne Paton’s volley got City’s seventh goal before late on, Noelle Murray had her second goal of the game after being picked out by Leanne Ross.

Accies Pick Up Crucial Win

With Aberdeen losing to Glasgow City, Hamilton Academical knew that they could extend the gap over the bottom place to seven points. They faced a tricky challenge against Rangers, and they had yet to pick up an away win all season in the league.

Accies’ took the lead in the 30th minute when Lori Gardner’s header deflected off a Rangers’ defender and into the net. They doubled their lead on the hour mark with Kodie Hay getting her first goal for the Accies.

With three games left, and with Hamilton playing Aberdeen next week, they know that if they return from up north unbeaten they will have secured their place in the 2018 SBS SWPL 1.

Celtic Beat Stirling in Battle For Third

Just one point separated Celtic and Stirling University as they two sides met at K-Park ahead of the game.

Sarah Ewens assisted Celtic’s first two goals. Her first cross picked out Holly Napier to finish off and then soon after, her cross was diverted into their own net by a Stirling defender.

It was then Heather Richards’ turn to be the provider. Her corner was headed in by Natalie Ross, and just before half-time, her through-ball was turned in by Ewens despite Stirling’s keeper getting a hand to Richards’ ball.

Nicole Pullar picked up a consolation goal for Stirling in the second half but they could not mount a comeback as Celtic opened the gap between the two sides to four points.

Edinburgh University Hutchison Vale Spoil Champions Party

The recently crowned SBS SWPL 2 champions Forfar Farmington travelled down to the capital to take on Edinburgh University Hutchison Vale (EUHV). It was the Edinburgh side that picked up an impressive win to keep up the pressure on the teams above them.

EUHV took the lead in the 11th minute as Nichola Sturrock’s through-ball found Anna Hume and she smashed the ball into the bottom corner.

Forfar went looking for an equaliser but were frustrated by good defending and keeping from Charlene Lessells.

Just before half-time, EUHV doubled their lead as Sturrock beat three Forfar players before finding the back of the net.

In the 75th minute, the Edinburgh side had their third goal as Beth Macleod’s cross was smashed into the net by Margaux Durand-Watson.

Danni McGinley scored a consolation goal for Forfar in second-half stoppage time. Despite the win, EUHV stays sixth but are five points behind second.

Glasgow Girls Go Second

Glasgow Girls travelled up to relegated East Fife for the early kick-off, knowing that they could at least temporarily move up to second place.

East Fife took the lead in the 32nd minute, but ten minutes later, Glasgow Girls equalised through Megan Logan.

Logan put Glasgow Girls in the lead in the 62nd minute, before Georgie McTear scored twice in four minutes to put them 4-1 up. East Fife pulled a goal back in the 81st minute, but Glasgow Girls would reestablish their three-goal lead through Kirsty MacDonald.

Hearts Win Thriller And Jeanfield Leave It Late

In the late kick-off, Hearts travelled to Motherwell and returned with all three points as they won 4-3. That result meant that Glasgow Girls finished the day in second place with Motherwell in third. Hearts stay sixth.

Jeanfield Swifts travelled up to relegated Buchan and it looked like it would end in a goalless draw, until the 93rd minute when Amy Henderson’s header broke the deadlock. Jeanfield stay fourth with Buchan remained bottom of the table.