Scottish Women's Premier League

#SBSSWPL Round-up – 22/04/18

April 23rd 2018

Scottish Building Society SWPL 1


Spartans 1-1 Stirling University

Sixth and fifth met at the start of the day and both remain in their positions after a draw at Ainslie Park.

The opening goal went to the away side with just under a quarter of an hour played. Katy Morris, playing in her final game for Stirling Uni, with a looping header into the net from a corner.

Stirling had a number of good chances before the break but they couldn’t find the net. In the end, the inability to double their lead allowed Spartans back into the game. Simone McMahon curling her corner directly into the goal to make it 1-1 with a third of the game to go.

Neither side could find a winner in the time remaining and the result means that both sides are in the same league positions from the start of the day. They both find themselves a point further away from bottom but they also find themselves four points off fourth placed Rangers.

Celtic 1-3 Hibernian

Hibernian made it four points from six in two of their toughest matches of the season. The result means they remain level on points with Glasgow City but behind on goal difference. For Celtic, they drop down to third and are only two points above Rangers.

The opener came with 24 minutes played. Joelle Murray, who suffered an injury later on in the game, whipping in a free-kick. Abi Harrison headed the ball towards the back post and Rachel McLauchlan was there to fire the ball home.

Early into the second half and McLauchlan doubled their advantage. Harrison assisting again, though McLauchlan had all the work to do as she dribbled her way past three players before firing into the net from outside the box. It was a wonderful goal to put Hibs on track for three points.

However, Celtic cut the lead back just five minutes later. Nicole Pullar showed great strength to keep the move alive and eventually the ball was played through for the overlap of Keeva Keenan down the right. She played the ball back in towards Pullar, who headed home, while Keenan was wiped out by Jenna Fife for her troubles.

With only minutes to go, Hibs eventually sealed all the points. A corner in wasn’t cleared by Celtic and Harrison grabbed herself a goal. A well struck volley bounced into the bottom right hand corner, to the delight of her teammates.

Glasgow City 1-0 Forfar Farmington

Glasgow City jumped back to top of the Scottish Building Society SWPL 1 after a narrow win over Forfar Farmington.

While the home side dominated possession for the majority of the game, they failed to take the chances that came their way and were almost made to pay when Forfar came inches away from equalising.

The only goal of the game was a fortunate one for the champions. A defensive mix-up between goalkeeper and defender allowed Christie Murray to capitalise for her first City goal. While it was a tad lucky, she did well to put the Forfar defence under pressure.

With the game approaching full-time, Forfar almost pulled off a huge shock. Danni McGinley nearly got her first of the season, slotting the ball past substitute goalie, Erin Clachers, but her shot hit the post. City failed to clear though and the ball was fired back across goal. It looked certain for Caroline Heron to score but she couldn’t get the ball towards goal and put it wide.

The result means that City are back at the top of the table on goal difference, ahead of Hibernian. Forfar remain three points from safety and move two points from both sixth and fifth place.

Hamilton Academical 0-4 Rangers

Rangers put in another convincing performance on league duty to see off Hamilton and put themselves only two points off Celtic. For Hamilton, they remain bottom of the league without having yet scored a goal this season.

The opening goal of the game came after 18 minutes. A free-kick on the edge of the box was taken by Clare Gemmell who beautiful chipped it past the helpless Hamilton goalie.

The second goal didn’t come until the second half with just over an hour played. Sarah Robertson cutting in from the left wing before curling the ball over the ‘keeper from the edge of the box.

With ten minutes remaining, Rangers put the game out of sight. Two nice touches from Gemmell brought down the cross before turning and firing the ball into the back of the net. The final goal came with two minutes left as Brogan Hay drove forward before hammering the ball into the bottom left corner.

The result means that Rangers remain fourth but are now four points above fifth and just two points from third. Hamilton remain bottom but are still just three points from safety.

Scottish Building Society SWPL 2

Edinburgh University Hutchison Vale 2-2 FC Kilmarnock

Unsuprisingly, it was another high-scoring match involving Edinburgh University Hutchison Vale (EUHV). They continued with their better home form, taking a point off FC Kilmarnock who remain in the top half of the table.

The opener came through Lauren Sloan of FC Kilmarnock with just four minutes played. However, the game was back on level terms just over 10 minutes later. Anna Hume grabbing the goal after the ball was flicked on by Nichola Sturrock.

Less than 10 minutes later, EUHV took the lead. Beth Macleod volleying into the roof of the net after a free-kick in by Laila Sinta Juul-Dam. It was a taste of their own medicine though for EUHV, as Kilmarnock equalised not long after. Colette Fleming grabbing the goal from a corner after 35 minutes.

Neither side could add to their tally in the second half, leaving both sides with a point. For EUHV, it means they drop into the relegation zone but are just a point behind Glasgow Girls and Aberdeen. For FC Kilmarnock, they are now two points behind leaders Motherwell and level on points with Hearts.

Hearts 4-1 Aberdeen

Hearts made it three wins from three home games with an impressive win over Aberdeen. It draws them into the battle for the title, while Aberdeen are now just one point above the relegation zone.

For the second game in a row, Hearts grabbed four goals and Pamela Liddell also scored another brace. Her opener after just 15 minutes was a beauty, finding the top corner with a shot from outside the box. Liddell then set-up their second before half-time as Lauren Hall fired the ball home after calmly getting away from the defender.

With just over 30 minutes left, Liddell made it three for Hearts. She was played through on goal and with great composure, headed over the out coming ‘keeper before smashing into an empty net. A great finish overall from an in-form player.

With fifteen minutes left, Aberdeen did reduce the lead. A slightly lucky finish from Megan Reid but it reduced the deficit and meant a comeback was possible. However, Hearts secured all the points in the last minute. Stacey Hutchison curling the ball into the net from the edge of the box with a tidy strike.

The result means that Hearts jump up to second in the table and are now just two points from top. For Aberdeen, they are just a point from the drop zone after EUHV’s draw and Glasgow Girl’s win.

Motherwell 6-0 St Johnstone

Motherwell showed why they are considered strong title contenders with a demolition of St Johnstone.

The Women of Steel found themselves five goals to the good at half-time with a hat-trick for Scottish Building Society SWPL 2 top goalscorer, Suzanne Mulvey. An own-goal was the opener before Hayley Cunningham extended the lead just after 30 minutes. Then, in the space of just five minutes, Mulvey got three goals to give Motherwell a huge lead.

In the second half, there was just the one goal. It was another own-goal for St Johnstone, who found themselves on the wrong end of an impressive Motherwell display.

St Johnstone drop down to fourth in the league, having played a game more than most teams in the division. For Motherwell, they are now top of the league and are two points clear of second and third.

Glasgow Girls 3-2 Central Girls FA

Glasgow Girls pulled themselves out of the relegation zone with a vital win over Central Girls FA.

It was the home side that opened the scoring after just five minutes. Lauren Evans with a strike from 30-yards which the keeper couldn’t keep out.

The lead didn’t last long though and it was 1-1 after eight minutes. A long throw-in wasn’t dealt with by the Glasgow Girls goalie and Morgan Cross was able to fumble the ball into the net.

The away side then found themselves in front just under half an hour. Cross getting her second of the game, firing into the bottom corner from outside of the box. While they all count, she’ll enjoying watching this one back more than the first.

It looked like Central would hold on for three points but they couldn’t stop Glasgow Girls as they pushed forward in the final 10 minutes. The equaliser came from a corner with Katie Hay picking up the clearance before half-volleying the ball into the net.

With only minutes remaining, they then grabbed the winner. The ball was headed towards the box and perfectly into the path of Evans. She held off the challenge and fired the ball over the goalkeeper and into the roof of the net.

The result means that Central Girls FA now sit bottom of the table and three points from safety. For Glasgow Girls, they are up to sixth place but just one point from returning to the relegation zone.

More News