Scottish Women's Premier League

#SBSSWPL Round-up – 19/11/17

November 20th 2017

It was the final day of the 2017 Scottish Building Society SWPL 1 season and Stirling University secured fourth place and Hamilton Academical won the final game of a legend’s career.

Legend Bows Out With A Win

Hamilton Academical had two reasons to celebrate going into the game against Rangers: achieving their place in next year’s Scottish Building Society SWPL 1 and their keeper Elaine Fleming retiring after an extraordinary career.

They were able to mark the occasion with a victory. It was Rangers who took the lead in the 19th minute through Claire Gemmell’s free-kick.

In the second half, Hamilton equalised when Gillian Inglis crossed to Lori Gardner at the near post and she found the back of the net. It looked like the game may be ending in a draw until, in the 87th minute, Mhairi Lyle rounded the Rangers’ keeper to secure an impressive win.

Stirling Secure Fourth

The only position to be decided in the league was who finished in fourth place, with Stirling University and Spartans separated only on goal difference.

Stirling, who went into the day in fourth, hosted Celtic. Celtic took the lead in 19th minute when Natalie Ross scored at the far post. The win for Celtic would only be confirmed late on in the second half when a wonderful assist from Kirsty Howat set up Natalie Ross to seal a 2-0 win.

Spartans hosted runners-up Hibernian. It would take until the stroke of half-time for Hibs to take the lead when Rachel Small’s glancing header from Emma Brownlie beat the keeper.

Small scored Hibs’ second midway through the second half with her stunning 30-yard shot hitting the underside of the bar and just crossing the line. Soon after, Hibs’ secured a 3-0 win. Small’s through-ball found Lia Tweedie whose initial shot hit the post, but she reacted to the rebound to score.

Champions Go Unbeaten

Glasgow City travelled up north to relegated Aberdeen with the opportunity to go unbeaten in the league season.

Aberdeen gave City a guard of honour before the game, and it took the champions five minutes to open the scoring through Noelle Murray, and they had a perfect chance to double their lead through a penalty five minutes after, but Aberdeen keeper Emily Mutch made a great save after the effort rebounded off the crossbar.

In the second half, City won another penalty and this time, Leanne Ross converted the spot-kick, and then late on, Joanne Paton’s corner was headed in by Keeva Keenan.