Scottish Women's Premier League

#SBSSWPL Round-up – 15/04/18

April 16th 2018

Featured image by Malcolm Mackenzie Photography

Scottish Building Society SWPL 1


Hibernian 2-2 Glasgow City

The Scottish Building Society SWPL 1 title chasers met for the first time in 2018 for what was a hugely entertaining encounter. Unlike previous matches where one side has usually dominated, this was a much closer affair which reflected in the final result.

It was the home side that took the lead in the first quarter of an hour as Jamie-Lee Napier met an Emma Brownlie free-kick and finished off past Lee Alexander. The lead didn’t last long though as City levelled only five minutes later. Leanne Crichton was brought down by Kirsty Smith and City captain, Leanne Ross, slammed the ball down the middle.

There were chances throughout the second half for both teams but it looked as though City had grabbed all three points with only minutes left to play. Jenna Fife fumbled the corner and Donna Paterson was there to poke the ball home.

However, there was one last twist in the tale. Into stoppage time, Abi Harrison drove down the right hand side before putting the ball towards goal. What may have been a cross, looped over Alexander and nestled into the back of the net.

The result means both sides have lost their 100% records and have dropped a place down the table. City remain above Hibernian on goal difference and both sides are a point behind Celtic.

Hamilton Academical 0-2 Celtic

It was another difficult result for Hamilton who find themselves without a point from their opening four games, despite strong performances. As for Celtic, their fortunes are quite the opposite, as this result has put them top of the #SBSSWPL 1 table.

For Celtic, both of their goals were fantastic finishes. Emma Craig, on her first team debut, cut in from the right hand side and rifled her shot into the top corner. The youngster, who has been ever present in the Academy squad, making her mark in the top division.

As has been the case for Hamilton, they never find themselves out of games completed and no team has scored more than three goals, including Glasgow City. However, they have yet to score this season and today was no exception.

Instead, Celtic further increased their lead with only minutes to play. Sarah Ewens cut in from just outside the box and fired home to seal all three points.

Celtic jump up to 1st in the league, but are only a point ahead having played a game more. As for Hamilton, they are three points from safety and are rooted to the bottom of the table.

Forfar Farmington 0-2 Spartans FC

It was a positive weekend for Spartans FC as a whole, added to with an important three points away to Forfar Farmington.

As expected, it was a close match and it took 38 minutes for Spartans to take the lead. Alana Marshall from 25 yards with a great strike to give the Edinburgh side the advantage before the break.

The game could have gone either way but it was Spartans that secured maximum points with 70 minutes played. Simone McMahon with the free-kick and Kaela McDonald-Nguah was there to head the ball home.

The result means that Spartans jump up to 5th in the league, four points away from bottom and only two points off a place in the top half. For Forfar, the result drops them down to 7th and three points from bottom placed Hamilton.

Rangers 4-0 Stirling University

It was a thumping win for Rangers who put in a strong performance against one of the divisions toughest opponents. Amy McDonald will be hoping this result will push her side on for the remainder of the season.

The opening goal came with just 12 minutes on the clock. Brogan Hay with the cross into Sarah Robertson who, despite having two shots blocked, eventually found the back of the net. The lead was doubled before half-time by Jade Gallon, scoring against her former side.

The next goal could have changed the game should Stirling have grabbed it but it was not to be. With an hour played, Rangers sealed the points as Robertson capitalised on a defensive error to grab her brace. She was matched by Gallon though, who rounded off the scoring in stoppage time. A corner in was met by her head to make it 4-0.

The result means that Rangers jump up to 4th in the table, two wins and two loses so far this season. As for Stirling, a disappointing loss drops them down to 6th.

Scottish Building Society SWPL 2


Glasgow Girls 2-6 Motherwell

It was a fantastic match at Petershill Park as Motherwell battled back to climb to top in the league. For Glasgow Girls, they’ll be disappointed not to have held on to their lead after an impressive start to the match.

With half an hour gone, the home side found themselves 2-0 to the good, perhaps calling upon their incredible performance against St Johnstone which they won 4-0. Lauren Evans opened the scoring and Rachel Halliday doubled their advantage with 33 minutes played.

However, the lead would be gone before half-time. Suzanne Mulvey, top goalscorer in the league, got her eighth of the season to reduce the deficit only three minutes later. Then, with 42 minutes played, Hayley Cunningham levelled the score with a rocket of a free-kick.

In the second half, Motherwell showed why they are considered to be one of the title favourites. Goals from Caitlin Russell, Kirsty McLaughlin, Cunningham, and Sammy Hare, gave them a comprehensive victory.

The result means that Motherwell are top of the league, though only on goal difference. As for Glasgow Girls, they remain bottom of the table but are only a point from safety.

Click here for full match report via Motherwell FC

St Johnstone 4-2 FC Kilmarnock

It was another impressive victory for St Johnstone against the side who were top of the table coming into the match. The loss is the first for newly promoted Kilmanock.

The opening goal came with 24 minutes played as Rachel Todd was played in by Hannah Clark. She steadied herself before coolly slotting the ball home. The lead was then doubled only minutes later as Jade McDonald headed home from a free-kick.

At that point in the match, Kilmarnock had struggled to create any chances. However, they reduced the deficit with a wonder goal with 32 minutes played. Collette Fleming battled for the ball and from 25 yards out, she slammed the ball into the roof of the net.

For Kilmarnock, they would find themselves two goals behind again only five minutes later. Ellie-May Cowie chased down a ball that was played back to the Kilmarnock keeper. An unfortunate bounce saw it go over the keeper’s boot and the ball rolled into the net. Without Cowie’s chasing, it’s very likely the keeper could have taken a touch.

Into the second half and St Johnstone gave themselves a healthy lead. A scramble on the Kilmarnock line commenced with 65 minutes played. The ball evetnually found Clark at the back post to tap it in. There were calls for offside but these were waved away by the officials.

Kilmarnock did reduce the deficit in the final few moments. Sara Paterson with a perfectly placed free-kick to complete the scoring.

The result means that Kilmarnock now drop down to 2nd, behind Motherwell on goal difference. They are also now level on points with St Johnstone, who are 3rd on goal difference.

Hearts 4-3 Central Girls FA

It was a seven goal thriller in the capital as the home side came away with a narrow win. Central Girls, after a positive week with Chelsea McEachran winning Player of the Month for March, will be disappointed to have come away empty handed.

It was the away side that took the lead with 43 minutes played through Naomi Welch. It didn’t last long though and for Hearts, it was a spell of just three minutes that gave them three of their goals. Ashley Carse with a double, split by a goal from Pamela Liddell.

Central reduced the deficit to only one goal with 53 minutes gone through Ellie Kane but Liddell also grabbed a brace with Hearts’ final goal in the 65th minute. Central reduced the deficit once again, only three minutes later. However, Callaghan’s goal was not enough as the home side held on.

The result means that Hearts are 4th in the league, just two points behind the top three. For Central Girls, they remain 7th and in the final relegation spot. They’re only one point off 6th and three points off 5th.

Aberdeen 4-0 Edinburgh University Hutchison Vale

An impressive first half performance from Aberdeen was enough to give them a comprehensive win over their Edinburgh visitors.

Kelly Forrest opened the scoring with only four minutes gone and 20 minutes later, Chloe Gover doubled their advantage. With 37 minutes gone, Lynn Duncan added their third and two minutes later, Gover grabbed her brace and Aberdeen’s fourth.

The second half was goalless, perhaps to the relief of Edinburgh University Hutchison Vale (EUHV) who have now conceded 14 goals in four games, the second highest in the league.

The result lifts Aberdeen up to fifth and three points from the relegation places and from the top of the table. For EUHV, they sit one place above the relegation zone and only one point from safety.