Scottish Women's Premier League

#SBSSWPL 2: Partick Thistle 1-1 Dundee United

October 26th 2020

Partick Thistle and Dundee United had to settle for a share of the spoils in the Scottish Building Society SWPL after an entertaining draw at a wet and windy Lochinch. Jade Mclaren’s second half header cancelled out an early opener from Clare Docherty for the hosts as the game ended 1-1 despite both sides creating good chances.

It was the home side who started the better and they took just five minutes to open the scoring, Cheryl Rigden sending in a beautiful cross from the right with Docherty finding space to send a header past Aaliyah-Jay Meach in the United goal.

The Terrors responded well, Tammy-Lee Harkin firing in a dangerous cross which Jade Baillie gathered at the second attempt before they really should have equalised. Robyn Smith slipped the ball through to Norwegian striker Stina Kleppe but Baillie managed to block her effort with an outstretched leg.

At the other end, Emma Craig was causing trouble for the visitors and she came close to doubling the Jags’ advantage, seeing her effort kept out by Meach.

After that action-packed opening 15 minutes, the game eventually began to settle down, although the weather didn’t. Thistle tried to move forward on the counter after a United corner was cleared but the impressive Craig was hauled back by Chloe Clemison, making her first start for Dundee United, who was booked by the referee.

Thistle keeper Baillie struggled with controlling the ball at times and had to be alert to the danger after parrying Smith’s shot but she managed to get her glove on it before anyone could follow in.

It should have been two before half time but Taylor McGlashan somehow fired over from close range as the Jags went in ahead at the break.

Docherty was another standout for Brian Graham’s side and she had a great chance to grab her second on 56 minutes when she found herself through on goal, but her shot from a tight angle could only find the side netting.

Thistle had been the side on top for most of the first period but United began to grab more of a foothold in the game in the second half and they really should have equalised just past the hour mark. Neve Guthrie made an impact when she came off the bench and she picked out Harkin unmarked in the box, but the forward shot high and wide.

It wasn’t long before the away side were level though, Harkin swung in a dangerous cross to the back post where McLaren was on hand to head the ball home. The United centre back then almost scored again when she beat the offside trap but Baillie managed to get down quickly to her right to keep the ball out.

Thistle had a great chance of their own to win the game when Suzanne Mulvey picked out debutant Athina Varnava at the back post, however, she could only send her volley flying over the bar as both sides picked up a point.

Partick Thistle: Baillie; McGlashan, Falconer, Murphy (Varnava, 72); Ross, Rigden, Fleming, Gallon (McAvoy, 82), Smith; Docherty (Gallacher, 81), Craig (Mulvey, 59)

Dundee United: Meach; Foote, Clemison, Mclaren, Burns; Ross (Guthrie, 57), Napier; Simson, Harkin, Smith; Kleppe

Partick Thistle Manager, Brian Graham:

Dundee United Assistant Coach, Graeme Hart:

Dundee United Midfielder, Jade McLaren: