Scottish Women's Premier League

#SBSSWPL 2: Kilmarnock 0-4 Dundee United

December 7th 2020

Dundee United climbed to second in Scottish Building Society SWPL 2 after a resounding win over Kilmarnock at Rugby Park made it four games unbeaten for the Terrors.

Josslyn Fletcher’s own goal gave them the lead before Robyn Smith and a Danni McGinley double completed the 4-0 win.

After an even start to the game it was United who had the first effort, with Holly Napier seeing her shot deflected behind on nine minutes. From the resultant corner though, the visitors took the lead, as Killie forward Fletcher headed into her own net.

United pushed on from that, pressing the Killie defence and Stina Kleppe was next to go close, firing over from distance.

Killie were struggling to really grab a foothold in the game but did manage to test AJ Meach in the United goal, albeit Lauryn Reside’s effort was tame. Reside tried her luck again a few minutes later, but once more Meach was equal to her shot.

It was United though that were creating the better chances and went close when Smith got past Amy Burrows, but Morgan Hunter blocked the shot.

The hosts were awarded a free-kick early in the second half after Kirsten Rolph was tripped by Philippa McCallum, although there were claims that the contact was to be inside the box. Despite vocal complaints from Killie and a chat with his linesman, the referee stuck with his original decision and United cleared the danger.

Most of the pressure in the early stages of the half was coming from Killie, but it was United who grabbed the next goal on the break. Smith sent the ball wide to Neve Guthrie who found the onrushing Jade McLaren, her ball across goal reached Steffi Simson who showed great awareness to find Smith and she managed to scuff her shot over the line, despite the best efforts of Amy Burrows.

United were boosted by the return from injury of forward McGinley and she almost made an immediate impact, crossing for Smith who laid the ball off to Guthrie, but her shot was blocked and Killie cleared.

It wasn’t long though before she was involved in a goal as United made it three. Smith turned provider this time, slipping through a glorious through ball and McGinley was on hand to roll the ball home.

The away side put the icing on the cake with just two minutes to play when McGinley showed good strength to turn Laura Neil before seeing her shot deflect up and over Hunter.

Killie nearly scored a consolation in stoppage time with Neil’s speculative effort being tipped over by Meach, but they couldn’t convert from the corner as United recorded their biggest win of the season.

Hunter; Rolph, Burrows, Neil, Gray; Middleton, Campbell (Munro, 63); Reside (Sloan, 71), Robinson, O’Brien (Harty, 69); Fletcher (Sloey, 46)

Dundee United: Meach; Foote, McMillan (Carter, 79), Clemison, Burns; McLaren, Napier; Guthrie (McGinley, 63), Kleppe (Kern, 85), McCallum (Simson, 50); Smith (Robson, 83)