Scottish Women's Premier League

#SBSSWPL 2: Aberdeen 3-0 Kilmarnock

November 30th 2020

Although the international break brought Scottish Building Society SWPL 1 action to a halt, it was game on in SWPL 2 as Aberdeen welcomed a rejuvenated Kilmarnock side to Cormack Park on Sunday.

The home side had the majority of possession throughout the first half which helped provide a number of opportunities to get the opening goal. Chloe Gover had the first real opportunity of the match, hitting a shot from the left hand side of the box wide, with right back Loren Campbell later stealing the ball from a Killie defender and drove into the box, however her cross-cum-shot was easily saved by the visiting goalkeeper.

This did not stop a Kilmarnock side that picked up their third win of the season against Glasgow Girls last week however, with the Ayrshire team having the best opportunity of the half. A long ball from half way managed to find Kirsty O’Brien on the right wing. The 17-year old managed to get to the by-line and hit a cross that was missed by the home defence, finding its way to Abby Robinson. Killie’s number six had the time to prepare a shot, although she unfortunately saw her attempt go wide, not troubling Gail Gilmour in the goal.

The first goal of the game finally arrived in the 58th minute. Having regained the ball from a Kilmarnock attack, a long pass found Gover on the left who passed to a waiting Eva Thomson. Much like Robinson in the first half, Thomson had the time to hit her shot which floated just above the keeper’s reaching right hand to break the deadlock.

As Killie kept pushing to grab a goal but not finding any end product, the hosts grabbed their second of the match in the 86th minute. Substitute Johan Fraser managed to pinch the ball from the defence and played a short pass to the penalty area which was met by Thomson who struck to grab her second of the afternoon.

As the referee continued to let play go on long past the 90th minute, Aberdeen found themselves scoring a third goal in the most unexpected of circumstances. Loren Campbell collected the ball from the right wing and hit a cross that went straight towards trialist Morgan Hunter. As the stopper tried to cancel the attack with her palms, the ball decided to bounce back the way and ended up behind the line to gift the three points to the Dons.

Aberdeen remain at the top of the table following the victory, five points ahead of Partick Thistle. They travel to Gannochy Sports Centre next Sunday to face bottom side Stirling University. Killie sit in eighth place and welcome Dundee United to Rugby Park on the 6th.

Aberdeen: Gilmour; Campbell, Broadrick, Forrest, Strath; Ogilvie, Collins (Fitzpatrick, 72), Shore, Gover (Fraser, 61); Hutchison, Thomson (Gordon, 90)

Kilmarnock: Trialist; Docherty (McCuloch, 51), Gray, Neil, Middleton; O’Brien, Robinson, Harty (Fletcher, 46), Munro (Galt, 59); Sloey (Trialist, 46), Campbell

Aberdeen Co-Manager, Emma Hunter:


Kilmarnock Head Coach, Andy Gardner:


Aberdeen Defender, Amy Strath: