Scottish Women's Premier League

#SBSSWPL 1: Glasgow City 3-2 Hibernian

November 16th 2020

Match report providedby Anyone’s Game. Click here to find out more.

Glasgow City continued their 100% start to the Scottish Building Society SWPL season with a fine victory against Hibernian.

After a goalless first half, City’s American striker Nicole Robertson marked her debut by breaking the deadlock, before Jenna Clark doubled the home side’s lead.

Hibs pulled one back with a cute finish from Kirsty Morrison, but a thunderbolt from Mairead Fulton all but wrapped things up for the champions.

A fine free-kick from Siobahn Hunter left City sweating out the last few seconds, but they held on to go three points clear of the chasing pack at the top of the SWPL.

Glasgow City now travel to Iceland for Wednesday’s Champions League second qualifying round tie with Valur. With that game in mind, head coach Scott Booth made five changes to his side that beat Motherwell 3-0 last week.

City were at it from the start against Dean Gibson’s side, and Robertson’s introduction to the Scottish game was almost instant. She found herself in acres of space behind the Hibs backline but screwed her shot wide.

With Zaneta Wyne marauding down the left and Hayley Lauder bossing thing in the middle of the park, the home side had the best of the opening 20 minutes and City’s Robertson should have opened her account before she did as she passed up two glorious opportunities to put the hosts in front.

The Hibees went close twice in the first half; Charlotte Potts flashed a header wide from a corner. Then, after Amy Muir was upended, from the resulting free kick captain Joelle Murray headed narrowly over.

The second half started as it ended for City with Robertson again going close, before 12 minutes after the restart things finally paid off for the American. At the back post she headed Rachael McLaughlin’s excellent cross beyond the despairing Sophie Allison in the Hibs goal.

Hibs’ Amy Gallacher forced a save from City goalkeeper Lee Alexander, and a looping Colette Cavanagh drive clipped the top of the bar, but City extended their lead when a corner from Fulton was met by Clark who put the champions two up.

A minute later Hibs were back in the match when Ellis Notley threaded a fine ball through to substitute Morrison, who took a nice touch past her opponent and sent home a lovely finish.

The goal of the game looked to have all but wrapped up three points for the home side when Fulton fired in off the cross bar. But Hibs defender Hunter made it a nervy end when she smashed home to make it 3-2.

The game ended in some anger from the away side when the referee – who had played three minutes injury time – blew the final whistle just as Hibernian had won a corner.

Glasgow City: Alexander, McLauchlan, Wyne, Lauder (Fulton 68), Love, Crichton, Clark, Wojcik (Kerr 45), Colvill (Davidson 76), Wade (Foley 68), Robertson (Shine 68); Clachers, Toland

Hibernian: Allison, Leishman, Muir, Hunter, Potts, Eddie (Morrison 72), Boyce (Cavanagh 62), Gallacher, Notley, Murray (Adams 67), Boyle; Mutch, McCafferty, McEachran, Handley