Scottish Women's Premier League

City make it twelve in a row with Spartans victory

October 31st 2018

Glasgow City secured their twelfth straight Scottish Building Society SWPL 1 title with a 4-2 win over Spartans at Petershill Park.

Last week’s win over Hibs left City needing just a point against Spartans to win the league but goals from Abbi Grant, Lara Ivanusa, Carly Girasoli and a Jess Murphy own goal saw them clinch the title in style.

The hosts took a while to get going with half chances from a Girasoli header and a Kirsty Howat lob the best they could muster in the first quarter. On 24 minutes though, they did break the deadlock. Leanne Ross floated in a free kick from the left wing which Abbi Grant headed into the corner.

Spartans went for an immediate reply but Tegan Reynolds couldn’t connect properly with Sarah Clelland’s cross and the chance was gone.

Just four minutes later, City then made it two. Nicola Docherty’s cross caused all sorts of problems for Spartans keeper Rachel Harrison with the ball breaking to Lara Ivanusa who slotted home the second.

City were in control by this point and had further chances in the half through Howat, who volleyed wide and Grant but she could only shoot straight at Harrison.

Rebecca Galbraith intercepted a wayward pass for the visitors but her shot from distance didn’t trouble the home goal.

Similar to the first, the second half was a slow burner until just before the hour mark when Spartans were awarded a penalty, when Hayley Lauder was penalised for a push. Alana Marshall stepped up to take the spot kick and although her initial effort was saved by Lee Alexander, she was on hand to tuck the rebound into the net.

Straight from kick off, City went down the other end and Lauder almost made amends for giving away the penalty but her shot was well saved by Harrison. From the resultant corner however, a goalmouth scramble ended with the ball in the net after Carly Girasoli managed to bundle the ball over the line.

Three minutes later, Jo Love saw another shot pushed behind by Harrison but once more from the set piece, City would score.

This time Girasoli cleverly dummied the ball with defender Jess Murphy unfortunate to see the ball bounce off her and into the net.

They almost added a fifth soon after when Leanne Crichton saw her header cleared off the line after the ball had originally hit the crossbar.

Spartans broke forward and were awarded a free kick which Marshall swung in to the box where the unmarked Galbraith headed past Alexander.

Despite Hibs winning 7-1 against Rangers at Ainslie Park, City held on for the victory to clinch the title and pick up the trophy once more.

Glasgow City: Alexander; Ross, Love, Girasoli, Docherty; Crichton, Cunningham (Foley, 62); Grant (McLintock, 84), Lauder (Clark, 89), Ivanusa (Stewart, 72); Howat

Spartans: Harrison; Clelland (Mawson, 85), Murphy, McMahon, Marshall; Douglas, Reynolds (McDonald-Nguah, 68), McAlonie, Santoyo-Brown (Reilly, 68), Johnstone; Galbraith